First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Hats Off.........

I am lucky, I have a supportive and loving partner who adores his children and will do anything for his family. My DH believes that if I'm happy he's happy...he is a smart, good man. However, there is ALWAYS room for improvement and I can certainly drum up a few pointers that DH's could review.

1. Try to remember what drawer your socks, underwear, and t-shirts are in.
(for Rony)
2. Close above mentioned drawers, and cupboards
(Think: inquisitive toddlers)
3. Check the weather report, or think about the anticipated destination before dressing toddlers to go anywhere.
4. Stop pretending that DW has superior olfactory senses and face the inevitable dirty diaper change like a true soldier. I've been suckered in with ....."I'm not sure, I think she pooed do you want to smell her bleep bleep and double check?"
5. Don't expect a pat on the back, or payback , or ANYTHING if you do something unexpected that you don't normally do.(without being asked). Think: JUST DO IT.
6. Please understand that your break was AT work and that SAHM needs a break and you have to give her one.
7. EMPHATIC NO! Nap times are NOT a break for SAHM.......must make all phone calls, do meal prep, tidy up, blogging, AND have my own nap in what 1.5 hours on a GOOD DAY!

8. Just LISTEN to your ventin' wife without passing ANY judgements or try to fix ANY problems...just listen, nod sympathetically and when appropriate use the following phrases: "you poor thing, you must be exhausted, I don't know HOW you do it". Followed by, "Here's a nice warm tea laced with cognac and your meds and I'll take over with the kids".

The last weekend in April was role reversal weekend for DH and I. So I made coffee and read the paper , and was able to drink the entire cup before it got cold. Then I had "private" time which included a long hot shower (minus the 2 staring toddlers sitting on their step stools), did my hair, face etc. and put on unstained, matching clothes WITH accessories. Yes, I did all this and said goodbye to the family and fled out the door with car keys in hand and hockey bag slung over my shoulder and went to the rink and played hockey, all day, with nary a care in the world except how I was going to manage the next day when the lactic acid set in. I didn't change diapers, or make meals, or do any clothing changes or referee any disputes involving whiny 2 year olds. It was a glorious beginning to a great weekend.

DH dealt with S + A from the minute they uttered their first word Saturday morning until they laid their precious heads to rest Sunday night.
He was a SAHWD (Stay at Home For The Weekend Dad), and he did great. Let's keep it real though and examine exactly how DH dealt with his girls.
He hired chef NONNA came to do Saturday lunch feeding. Daddy was smart...
He took the girls out for 2 other "feedings" which involved meeting Mommy at the arena between games for a bite. Daddy was VERY smart.
No Home-Cooked meals were served, why have perfectly good left-overs go to waste?
No other domestic duty was attempted ....conserving energy for the wee tots.


DH shared his thoughts about being a SAHWD.
Least favourite activity was "feeding time", (surprise, surprise). DH thought, and I quote, " I thought that they would just sit and eat"(Ha, Ha, Ha!). DH said "their feeding time behaviour was unpredictable and they have a very limited menu". "It was controlled chaoas ( controlled only because they were in their highchairs),"and I thought they would just sit and eat"
My DH realized that meal times are lOOOOOOOng and frankly, boring. The girls can take up to 40 minutes to eat 1 slice of pizza. I really don't know how they are going to survive in daycare.
Nap times and bed times were DH FAVOURITE times. (go figure)However, he was so tired after taking care of the girls all morning that it took an hour just to recoup.


Daddy realized that the only TV station allowed on in the playroom is TREEHOUSE. Alyssa made sure that Daddy fully understood this by turning off the TV whenever it WASN'T displaying TREEHOUSE.

My DH truly got a glimpse of what it is like in my life on a daily basis. He was admittedly humbled and finally agreed that going to work was a break compared to staying at home with S + A . As wonderful as they are and the infinite love that we both have for them doesn't take away from the fact that they are exhausting.
It was a great weekend, one I would love to repeat soon, but I'm not too sure DH would agree.



6 comments:

kerri said...

I Love that, walk a weekend in my shoes. My DH too thinks that nap times are my break times, like you mentioned that's when I get in high gear and actually can get something accomplished. Great experience for all parties involved.

crazylady said...

AMEN sistah. Incredible post. Men need to experience it, and secretly we hope it doesn't go well, so that the sympathy factor goes up. My brother used to say to me, "I have to babysit J. today". And even back then, I rebuttle, NO NO NO you have to be a parent today, DAD.
Yes, Faithful Man calls on Grandma too to bail him out of a full day alone, but it's all good. As long as the poop didn't hit my fan, I don't care who caught it.
That list is the secret to a long (happy) marriage. Now go get yourself some regular help/relief.
Sen ((hugs))

Jen said...

What? We don't nap, do our nails and watch daytime t.v. during the kids' naps? I remember when I used to think (pre-kids) that sahms had it easy -- that they basically did nothing. Karma has so totally kicked me in the ass.

insanemommy said...

Yeah, karma pay backs! I too (and I have live-in help--it ain't easy) thought SAHM's had it soooo sooo easy. Well let me tell you sistah, I work (full-time) and I think the few hours that I'm with K&A is a real challenge. Dang, I'm exhausted. Of course I'm older than you spring chickens. *wink* I'm the one who gets them up in the morning, teeth brushed, and dressed, plus getting myself ready to head out the door for a stressful day at work. The minute I work through the door at night I'm pulling off my clothes and starting dinner. Not in the buff--- I change into my "leisure" wear.(Jen knows) Don't want you all to get a visual and barf! Then there's baths and getting them to bed. I'm on a treadmill from the moment I wake in the morning until I drop into bed at night!

Unfortunately my new job has a block *gasp* on certain sites. (blog and yahoo) So, I will be very limited when I can post.. Sucks.....

Rony

Cindy from central NC said...

Oh my gosh -- I thought I was the only one who "secretly" hoped that sometimes "it maybe would not go so well" just so he'd really get it. The other day, it didn't go well for him and he caught me furtively chuckling over some kind of chaos that was reigning...Am I mean or what?

insanemommy said...

Just for the record, Cindy is not mean! ha ha. I too laugh when things aren't going as dh had planned.

Rony