First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Just A Year








Sophia modelling her new swimsuit in 2006 (left), and today she is still able to wear it. (We do remove the pants before swimming )













Neighbourhood walks have a whole new meaning in 2007 (right picture) vs. 2006 (picture above).




































Nonno can manage to hold only one the girls on his birthday in 2007, which in this case is Alyssa. In 2006 Alyssa uses a pacifer, today she uses her thumb.





When we were waiting for our girls, a year was an eternity. Now that we have our girls, a year was like the blink of an eye. This is absolutely the truth. If you are a family-in-waiting I encourage you to really enjoy those long luxurious baths, the walks with your husband after the sun sets, the romantic dinners, the uninterrupted "quiet" times with your spouse, spontaneous get-aways, and visits with friends. Maximize and relish those trips to the hairdressers, manicurists, pedicurists, unique gift shops and especially the MALL . Yes, even the visits to the doctors, dentists and other such appointments need to be appreciated. Because I am telling you that the word spontaneous as it relates in your present world will not be the same after you receive your little one. Double this if you are hoping for multiples. Your lovely child (ren) is /are going to be all consuming and you, who used to be first, will now somehow become last on the list. And when you get your child cherish every minute because they will grow up so fast right before your very eyes. If you can stay at home longer, (and that is your thing), do it. I did and I am not the SAHM type but I saw every little developmental milestone that S + A experienced. I don't regret it for one minute. I feel that I deserved to be a full-time SAHM longer as my justification for the rivers of tears I have cried trying to get to our two angels.





Our trip to Collingwood last year, precisely one year to the weekend this year...exemplified that time is clearly flying bye and just how quickly our girls are growing up.





Last year the girls were mainly crawling everywhere, standing up with assistive devices, taking a few baby steps, napping twice a day, not eating on their own and not talking. Fast forward to this year, the girls are walking, running, jumping, talking (2-3 word sentences), singing, eating on their own crawling out of their Pack N' Plays, napping only in the afternoon, drawing, colouring, blowing kisses, giving bear hugs, and the list goes on.




They are truly toddlers now, no longer babies and a part of me misses the babies I once had. This stage is also fantastically fun and entertaining but I just wish time would slow down, (sorry to all the waiting parents), just a wee bit for these little tykes Too much "growing up" for mommy to handle in "just a year".














7 comments:

crazylady said...

What a wonderful comparative note on the girls. Oh the difference a day makes, let alone a year. I would dare add, that you don't let yourself and your needs as a mom (dad) end up last. Second, third okay, but last after putting out the garbage, will not give you strength to endure the hard days, and there are many of those thrown in.
LOVE the pushing chairs shot. We had to tie down/tether the furniture in our house with bungee cords. Outdoor furniture often takes walks. Strong suckers.
Sophia and Alyssa are lucky to have such a caring Nona.
You rock as a mom... Kudos.
See you Friday?

insanemommy said...

Hello D. I too was reflecting back on how my life has changed since bc. It's amazing how they have grown in the last year. Where did the time go?! I love the stage we're at right now but Ohhhh did I love the baby stage too.... I find it most challenging squeezing in time for my main man.... And poor "Moo". It's all a juggling act isn't it?

Great post girl.

Rony

M and M said...

I love the comparison photos and explanations.

I am sure the 3rd year comparisons will be here before you know it!

Sophie's Mom said...

Just found your blog. I have a Sophia as well. Beautiful girls!
Christine

Sophie's Mom said...

My Sophia is from Guangchang, in the JiangXi province. She was 11 months old when we adopted her, Sept 11, 2005. She's a joy. Our China journey is on our other website (www.journeytosophia.com).

Thanks for stopping by!
Christine

"M2" said...

They are adorable.... I want 2
I don't want manicures, pedicures, or romantic walks anymore

I want to be sleep deprived and I want double the work....
and I am sane for now, really.

thanks for the visit today!!!

Calico Sky said...

What a difference a year makes?! They are sooo beautiful. Did you say Collingwood? Are you Canadian too?!