First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Love Birds

I am an avid sports participant, not so much an observer, which I am sure will change once S + A get on some teams. I was and still am, even at my advancing age, active in sports. My first love was Ringette, a modified version of hockey for girls, which I played for at least 10 years at the highest level possible at the time. I played competitive baseball throughout my teen years and continued to play in my adult life on ladies teams and with hubby on the co-ed circuit. In high school I played volleyball, field hockey and was also a cheerleader in grade 13. I taught aerobics since I was 16 for nearly 20 years at the local fitness clubs. I worked at many fitness clubs throughout my university years. I was a "gym rat" and was encouraged to compete in body building competitons (which I declined). I love to run and was a member of the local running club. I have raced in some 5k's and my goal is to run in the "Around The Bay", which if you are a runner you have probably heard about since it is the oldest running race in North America (Check it out Dirk). In my mid- thirties I was encouraged by a friend to sign up for women's hockey, so I did. And I fell in love with the sport. I loved playing hockey so much that I decided to get qualified and referee it.... for 4 years or so.

Which leads me to my life today after twins.....I still play women's hockey every Sunday night. The only running I do now is after S+A, but I still manage to do a H*lluva LOT of refereeing, only not on ice with skates and a black and white vertically striped jersey and NO whistle. I spend a HUGE part of my day referring my 2 angels from China...........I am tempted to pull out the black and white jersey and the whistle and start using the couch as a penalty box.
2 minutes Alyssa....... interference. (blocking Sophia's view of the story book)
2 minutes Sophia ....... unnecessary crying.
2 minutes Alyssa ...... unsportsmanlike conduct.(throwing a tantrum)
2 minutes Sophia ..... unnecessary whining.
2 minutes Alyssa ..... unnecessary roughness (wrenching toy from sisters hand)
2 minutes Sophia ....... unnecessary crying.
2 minutes Alyssa ............illegal conduct.(stealing sister's food)
2 minutes Sophia .........unnecessary whining.......

And so it goes............

Today at dinner these 2 arch enemies morphed into love birds. They were kissing and asking each other for kisses. Alyssa was lovingly "pretend" feeding her sister. They were reaching for each other and hugging with exclamations of "ahhhh". Basically great dinner entertainment for everyone and it sure beat the alternative. They looked so darn cute.....makes you forget ALL about the other stuff..That's what life is like with twins...has to be...or you wouldn't survive, they give you these precious heart-stealin' moments like none other you have ever experienced and you forget. You forget about how many diapers you've changed that day. You forget about the number of clothing changings you've made, or how tired you are. You "forget" how messy your house is so you can enjoy some precious moments with your daughters. You forget that you thought you were crazy to adopt twins. You forget that non-twin moms are enjoying a Mom and Me class that you can't go to because you have 2. You forget that other Mom's are taking their one child to a swim class and you have to wait for someone to help you. You forget just how confining life can be with twins and everyday you feel blessed when you get a chance to have a heart-stealin' moment with your special twins.

6 comments:

D2 said...

Pictures? Where are the pictures?

You have twins and you don't have a camera at the ready at all times? Shame on you!

Jen said...

I am printing out your list...love the refereeing references. I've often said I feel like a police officer, with all the bickering in my house...nice to know I'm not alone ;)

insanemommy said...

Ha ha ha... I LOVE the list! Great. Funny how one day the girls are killing one another and the next they are kissing and playing with each other. Katie is our "kissing" bandit. She just loves kissing. Anything. Which sometimes is NOT so good......

Rony

crazylady said...

You mentioned you 'forget' the bad times. I need elaboration on that point. I don't really forget anything. That is clearly my problem. They ARE cute when they hug and snuggle, but around here, one twin squeezes too tight and bowls one over and bashes her head into the ground, and well, that was fun while it lasted.
Where is the ice pack dear?
Me. Nice to see you back at the GermPit today. S & A did awesome.

Cindy from central NC said...

You could not have said it better. Three solid weeks of hell and misery with sick-sick twins who were miserable and miserable to each other. Then, in just one little moment (it was pretty amazing--surprised me)of giggles and smiles and hugs all 'round made up for all those weeks of uck....
Great blog--really fun reading.! :)
-Cindy

kerri said...

Love your list, I am always looking for my ref. whistle. My girls are smooching one minute and hitting the next, I have heard from very reliable sources that this will continue for the fifteen or so years...reserve me a room with a view and nice padded walls.