First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Incipient Echolalia

"Incipient echolalia", don't ya just love the sound of that rolling of your tongue? I stumbled across this beautiful phrase reading my second Kurt Vonnegut novel, (since he recently died, I thought I'd better read something of his before the value of his novels went up...just kidding, only happens to artists work apparently, so there was no anticipated line up at the library of anxious wanna be Vonnegut readers). Anyways, I loved this phrase he uses in his book, but I am not fond of his novels, but I ploughed through 2 books (everyone deserves a second chance), without particularly enjoying either. They did however help me fall off into la la land .................................
"Incipient echolalia"is the beginning phase of repeating other peoples words. Ya know, the toddler syndrome. Incipient echolalia is exactly what S + A have right now and I was happy to find a term that adequately described it. Of course they usually repeat a word that I don't normally use (honest). You can figure out what those WORDS would be...no I do not have potty mouth so the words are pretty lame, but words I would rather not have my children repeating and strangely, they usually hear them when Mommy is driving. If I emphasis to my protegees that they shouldn't really be saying that word the "echolalia" intensifies. So no longer are lengthy explanations necessary the next time your toddler blurts out something ........simply smile and say, "She/He has incipient echolalia". Hee, Hee, Hee, I love it.

9 comments:

crazylady said...

I'm not smart enough to read your blog.
And when in G_d's name are you finding the time to read a novel all of a sudden?

insanemommy said...

Ummm, yeah whatever it means I'm with you. I on the other hand do have potty mouth. Needless to say I have to be berry, berry careful. hee-hee.

When in the world do you find time to read? I barely find time to blog now. I'm doing all my blogging for the entire next week. I'm so short on time and my au pair uses my computer to make matters worse. I'm tempted to send her to the library!

Rony

Diana said...

To reiterate from my profile, "I pretend to play with the girls but I am secretly reading, keeps me sane". hehehe A full grown womans brain will go to mush hangin' out with toddlers so hence the need for a good read.
Rony, what exactly do you mean by "au pair"?

insanemommy said...

You would probably call her a nanny. We got her through an agency and she is here on a J1visa. She cares for our children (oh lucky her) and in return we provide her room and board and her education. She is required to have six credit hours complete before leaving country next year. We pay her a stipen (literally). Works out well for us. If we had to put the girls in day care we would pay $400.00 a week per kid in our area! This works for us plus my kids don't have snotty noses on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.