First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Friday, June 22, 2007

3 Inches is Never Big Enough

10 inches is the perfect size for me, (just ask Hubby). 3 inches would never satisfy the places I need to go, the climaxes I need to reach, or the multiple tasks I so crave to obtain daily. From the tip of my ginormous toe to the back of my heel, clearly 10 inches and as stable as a horse shelter. What did you think I was talking about? Are you blushing? Clearly you had other things in mind, but I am referring to my feet, get your heads outta that place! I am still not finished with the foot binding. See, when I googled Bound Feet after my Secret Agent suggested it, got me thinking again. I just love this kinda History, that divulges what women's roles were and their lives and how much they had to struggle in our patriarchal society. The atrocities they had to suffer and the struggle they went through to become "people". Our history curriculum very elusively alludes to women in the past, but I have always snuck in a unit on Women's Roles in HERstory. Too bad for Mr. Government and the powers that be that don't think this type of unit deserves a place in the classroom. (You will all be happy to know that I am returning to work to teach KINDERGARTEN, by choice, please help me).

The beautiful foot you see is Sophia's at a whooping 4 1/2 inches long. Her feet would have been considered "clown" feet by the Chinese during the popular foot binding era.
Seems 3 inches was the ideal size for a women's feet to be, or they would be deemed "clown" feet. They were supposed to resemble the Lotus flower. I don't see any flower-like resemblances in those feet.










Sophia is so proud of her "nastics", (gymnastics) stamp that she got the other day. I swear these little munchkins just count down the minutes so they can run over to get their "samps", (stamps) at the end of class. And for this I pay how much?



A few pictures taken at the park yesterday with the family.




6 comments:

insanemommy said...

Is daddy a "Tennessee" fan?! What'sup with the hat?

Love your little girly girls.... but where's mommy pics?

RamblingMother said...

It is just painful to think that 4 1/2 would not have been perfect when they look perfect to me. Glenys is waivering between 7 and 8 shoe size.

Beverly

Steffie B. said...

Too cute.....I can't even think about the binding feet pictures....Gags me!

Elizabeth said...

I find that history facinating myself. I love to read what we have gone through as women. I love history in general.
As usual your daughters are a delight to see, even their sweet clown feet.

"M2" said...

Oh you are a tricky thing...
you had me at "ask my husband"
who...btw... is quite cute!!!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

Interesting history isn't it. I read about foot binding before . Congrats on going back to teach kindergarten I use to be on the school board before. I give you credit. Too cute of pictures again.

Angel ():)