First Birthday

First Birthday
Mommy + "The Girls"

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pedicure Anyone?

And I thought I was in desperate need of a pedicure. This poor women, endured this painful torture to her feet for what? Because the society at the time deemed it beautiful to have small, no, minuscule, or more like "stumps" for feet, so women did this to themselves and each other, all in the elusive chase for beauty. Today, our society hasn't changed really all that much, just different ideals are set for different times in different cultures. One that comes to mind is the quest to attain the "anorexic" look. Models/movies stars are super thin and these are the women our daughters will role model after. I know I need to protect my daughters from societies standards but I am unsure how to be successful in that.


This picture was supposed to be a spin off into a light-hearted post about my first much needed pedicure of the season, but the message in those feet is really too hard to ignore. Her feet are no bigger than a package of cigarettes! How much balance can she get with feet that size?












I did go out today and get my first pedicure on my size 8 beautiful feet.....pure bliss for 45 minutes.


10 comments:

Pug Mama said...

made me think of the book SnowFlower and the Secret Fan. Have you read it?
It is a MUST READ.
toes look fab, BTW.

insanemommy said...

Your feet look great. Was it really your first time, or first time for the season!?!?

What those poor women must of had to endure. Sad. But I too suffer from anorexia. Look at me!

kerri said...

I feel totally queasy, unbelievable. The poor woman.
Thanks for sharing, your toes look lovely.

crazylady said...

Are those her toes wrapped under her foot?
This post ends my blogging for a night. I am absolutely horrified.

Diana said...

I have only read Geisha, and The Good Earth, both excellent also about the Chinese culture. I will defintitely read both of thos books.
Rony: First time THIS season...hey I AM a girly-girl...

Elizabeth said...

Horror. Those women often could not even walk. You've read the Snowflower/Paper fan book I'm sure, I don't know if I could have endured.
And men would use those feet for sex too.
Now your feet, I'm sure will come in very handy now too as they are looking so darn sexy.....

Steffie B. said...

So glad my toes are out in the front!

And I don't want those panties....but I'll send some to you!

"M2" said...

I have always been oddly fascinated with bound feet
googling it is very interesting.
I am glad it is no longer legal.
Ever read "waiting"?? guy embarassed of his wife's bound feet.
The few left are now discriminated for it.

Diana said...

Looks like I've got some reading to do folks, haven't ready any of those books. Thanks, so much for the recommendations I always love a good read.

I know my feet aren't the purtiest, but compared to the above photo they look pretty darn good. My physical therapist once said to me, "God gave you body beautiful but he gave you ugly feet!!!" But mucho gracias for the kind words.

Cindy from central NC said...

Ditto ditto on the Snowflower and the Secret Fan. I read that book cover to cover on the trip over to China last Fall.
However, however...I've never seen a picture (ever ever) of bound feet. Indeed, my question, too....are those her toes that are wrapped around. Oh dear, I think that is one of the most horrible-est things I've ever seen....Why oh why are we so cruel?